+91 98201 11502
Matunga West, Mumbai
Mon - Sat: 10 AM to 8 PM
Employment Opportunities in Australia

Employment Opportunities in Australia

Studying Abroad can be way expensive without financial aid. While scholarships and grants help you cut costs, it is not easy for everyone to get one. But, when you choose to study in Australia, you know you are in good company as there are a host of work opportunities to help you tackle hefty education loans and finance your studies abroad.

International students in Australia are permitted to work part-time during their term time and full-time during study breaks for up to five years, depending upon their course. However, there are certain rules that students should abide by to work in Australia. Breaching of the same may lead to deportation.

Who can work while studying in Australia?

If you are a subclass 500 visa holder, you can work part-time. But, there are certain things you must know before you start work in Australia:

  • Students must be pursuing a course of either under graduation, post-graduation, or Ph.D. level.
  • Students are not allowed to work until their course begins.
  • As an international student, you need to get a Tax File Number to work part-time.
  • Students enrolled in preliminary courses can work according to the 40 hours per fortnight rule. Whereas the Postgraduate Research Sector students are eligible for the same number of hours during the tenure of their course, and once their research work or doctoral thesis begins, they can work for unlimited hours.
  • Along with work, students must maintain their course enrollment and ensure the needed attendance & course progress.
  • Students who have completed the Australian study requirement (Studied at least 2 years of an academic course in Australia) can apply for a Post Study Work Permit under Graduate Stream. ELICOS students aren’t eligible for the same.

What kind of work can students do?

Students studying in Australia often take part-time jobs in a cafe, bar, general store, nursing department, or call center to finance their studies. You may also get a job based on your skillset and expertise, which will add valuable experience to your CV.

Sometimes students work as a part of their study program and depending upon the experience they gain, the grades are presented to them by their respective universities. If that’s not the case with your chosen study program, you can easily find a job for yourself. For this, you can connect with your university’s career department or local recruitment agencies or search them in newspapers, the university’s notice boards, or job portals.


Internships are one of the best ways to experience real-world scenarios. It not only helps you gain hands-on experience but increases the chances of getting full-time and part-time jobs. With internships, you get to build a professional network, communicate with pioneers of the fields, enhance your interpersonal skills, making you more prepared for future opportunities.

Internships can be paid or non paid depending on the organization.

If your internship is a part of your study program, the hours worked will be not be included in your visa work hour limits. However, if it’s undertaken as an elective, it will be counted in visa work limits.


If you are still in the process of applying for part-time jobs, volunteering is an excellent opportunity for the time being to show your commitment and contribution to society. However, students must remember not to consider volunteering as employment. It should be only for a non-profit organization, and no cash or payment to be received in return.

Post-study work visa in Australia:

With a post-study work visa, students can enrich their studies by gaining work experience in Australia.

There are 3 types of post-study work visas that help you extend your stay in Australia post studies. The stay duration can be between 18 months to 6 years, depending upon your course and region of study.

  1. Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
  • Criteria: Bachelor’s degree and above qualification. The course must be for at least 2 Academic years, not less than 16 months.
  • Stay duration: between 2 to 4 years.
  • Age Criteria: Under 50
  • Are dependents allowed? Yes
  1. Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
  • Criteria: As defined in the Skill occupation list
  • Stay duration: up to 18 months
  • Age Criteria: Under 50
  • Are dependents allowed? Yes
  1. Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)
  • Criteria: Engineering qualifications from a specified institution in the last two years
  • Stay duration: up to 18 months
  • Age Criteria: Under 31
  • Are dependents allowed? Yes

*Students must apply for the visas within 6 months of completing their course, depending on the qualification.

Contact US

    Services and VAS

    • End to End Admission Assistance
    • Application & Admission Counselling
    • Test preparation for IELTS Exams
    • Scholarship Assistance
    • Student Loan Assistance
    • Visa counselling and credibility interviews to avoid rejections
    • Forex, Ticketing & Student Housing support
    • University Delegate Meetings Setup
    • Student Alumni Visits
    • Parents’ involvement at Every Step
    • Pre-departure sessions for students and parents
    • Smart Discounts on Air Tickets

    Admission Document Checklist

    • SSC marksheet & certificate
    • HSC marksheet & certificate
    • Graduation marksheet & certificate
    • Convocation Certificate (not mandatory)
    • Transcripts
    • Resume / CV
    • IELTS / PTE / TOEFL result
    • Passport Copy (Front & Back)
    • Statement of Purpose (SOP)
    • Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
    • 1 from Employer, 2 from College

    If working individual:

    • Appointment Letter
    • Experience Letter
    • 6 months salary slip

    Career Guidance & Aptitude Tests

    • Engineering & Technology
    • Business & Management
    • Architecture
    • Law
    • Health & Medicine
    • Fine Arts
    • Communications
    • Applied Sciences
    • Social Sciences